Sign up below to volunteer for next year's Ward Tour. The date for the ninth annual Ward Tour is Sunday, June 3rd, 2018. We are in need of volunteers both leading up to the event and the day of the tour.
Ward Tour sign-in and bib pickup begin at 9:00 a.m. at City Hall, located at 280 Grove St. in downtown Jersey City. Riders will all line up for the start at 10:45 and begin riding promptly at 11:00 a.m., in one large group. and end up around 1:00 p.m. at the finish line on the Hudson River waterfront along Second Street, in and around the Lutze Biergarten. Once there we'll continue to celebrate cycling all afternoon at our Finish Line Festival, featuring live music, food and drinks, vendors and other attractions.
Before the Tour:
Leading up to the event, our greatest need is for folks to help out with promoting the event, by putting up posters around the city, handing out palm cards, staffing our tables at local events like Groove on Grove, etc.
Day of the Tour:
Day-of roles that we need to fill are for setup of the start area and the festival finish area, rider registration, ride marshals, and staffing various booths and tables at the start and finish.
- Setup: Morning setup starts at 8 a.m. at City Hall and involves some heavy lifting and the ability to work fast.
- Registration: Morning pre-ride registration involves sitting at a table outside City Hall on the day of the event, and collecting completed registration forms, checking in pre-registered riders, and distributing numbered ride bibs.
- Marshals: Marshals ride in strategic places within the tour, helping to direct other riders and keep them safe, help them with minor mechanical and other issues, communicate with police, and generally make the ride work smoothly.
- Festival Setup: Setup workers will work in and around Lutze Biergarten from about noon to 2:00, while the riders are out on the tour. You will help set up the festival grounds. You will need to work quickly, follow a map/site plan for the festival, possibly do some lifting, and take initiative. NOTE: THESE VOLUNTEERS CANNOT RIDE IN THE TOUR. If you are a friend of biking, but you can't or don't want to ride in the tour, please consider volunteering for this duty.
- Festival Staff: Staff work begins later in the day in or around Lutze Biergarten and involves manning the t-shirt sales tables, helpers for the art, music, and children's areas, directing crowd flow, etc. We also need a few people to do similar jobs at the start at City Hall before the ride. The start and finish sites are only 5 minutes' walk from each other, so you could work at both sites.
Volunteers will be asked to come early the day of the event.
Volunteers will be asked to sign a waiver form, You can view and download a pdf of the waiver form here.
Please provide a valid email address below; all communication will be handled via email. Thanks!